The following guidelines have been implemented in order to develop and improve the standards, structure and efficiency of the school, to reflect the standards in the profession and to ensure all students get the most out of their training.
STUDENT RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
• Please ensure you arrive 5 to 15 minutes early. The session will start on the hour and lessons should not be disrupted once they have started. If you know you will be late, please text or get your parents to text the school on 07967 385120 as this may affect the lesson plans.
• For the safety of all students, the school entrance is locked during the sessions. Students are not permitted to open the main door. This includes the beginning and end of a session.
• Students are to be self-disciplined, dedicated and hard working in order to achieve their highest possible standards and to fulfil their goals and dreams.
• Disruptive behaviour is not tolerated as it slows the lesson down and distracts other students. A high level of self-discipline is expected at all times.
• Please treat other students how you wish to be treated yourself. All students are to support and encourage each other. This helps to build confidence and harmony within the group.
• All mobile phones are to be switched off during the session.
• Please bring a bottle of water with you to each session. You will feel thirsty after your dance classes and you may wish to have water to hand during your singing lessons.
• Light snacks may only to be eaten during the breaks.
• Gum is not permitted at Starlight. The lessons can be very physical. Gum can inhibit your performing and can be dangerous if accidentally inhaled or swallowed.
• Please dress appropriately. (See Dress Code.)
• If a student has any issues or concerns, please speak to a tutor as nothing can be resolved without doing so. All the tutors are very approachable and give as much respect to you as they would like you to give to them. They are always there to talk at the end of each session if you have anything to discuss.
PARENT/GUARDIAN RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS:
• Please ensure all fees are paid termly in advance
• Please ensure your son/daughter arrives 5 to 15 minutes early & enters the school safely. The session will start on the hour and lessons should not to be disrupted once they have started.
• Please inform the school by text on 07967 385120 if your son/daughter is ill or is running late, as this may affect lesson plans.
• Please ensure your son/daughter is dressed appropriately. (See Dress Code.)
• Please inform the school in writing or by email of any dates your son/daughter cannot attend, as this may affect lesson plans.
• Please ensure your son/daughter is picked up on time and leaves the school safely. Starlight cannot be responsible for students outside school times unless a prior arrangement has been made.
• Please inform the school of any health or emotional issues that may affect your sons/daughters training.
AUDITIONS FOR END-OF-YEAR PRODUCTIONS:
• The castings of our shows are based on the integrity of the show, the suitability for the role, reliability & attitude of the student and the number of parts available.
• The casting is highly competitive with limited lead roles available. Starlight expects all students to accept their role in a professional manner.
• Starlight encourages all students to perform for the art rather than for the ego. It is the quality of a performance that counts – NOT the quantity.
• If at first you don’t succeed, try, try & try again. Professional performers do not give up easily.
• The casting of a show is the decision of the Director, Musical Director and Choreographer. Their decision is final.
•If any student has a concern about their role in a show, they must talk to one of the tutors.
• Students cannot be cast in the show unless ALL fees are sent in by the date given on the invoice. Fees are not refundable.
Starlight has a three-warning policy to resolve behavioural problems or lack of self-discipline.
The first warning is given verbally to the student. The second warning is discussed with the student and parents/guardians. The third warning is discussed again with both the student and the parents/guardians.
If problems persist and cannot be resolved any other way, the student will be excluded from the school. Fees are not refundable under these rare circumstances.
PERMITTED TIME OFF:
Starlight encourages students to attend professional auditions & castings and usually permits a maximum of three sessions off per term between August to April for students who have performance commitments outside of the school. Fees are not deductable or refundable. Any student requesting more than three sessions off will be at the discretion of the school.
As a school that promotes individuality and self-expression within a self-disciplined environment, Starlight does not have a uniform. It does however have a dress code. Due to the requirements of the dance sessions students are advised to wear the following attire:
• GIRLS: Jazz Top & Jazz Pants or Leotard & Tights. Jazz shoes or Jazz boots. Fitted T-shirts and Tracksuit bottoms are also acceptable.
• BOYS: Fitted T-shirt/vest or muscle top, Tracksuit bottoms, Jazz shoes or Jazz boots.
• Jeans, or any other restrictive clothing are not permitted in the dance class. No jewellery should be worn and long hair should be tied back.
• A change of clothes or a sweater is recommended after the dance classes. Tracksuits & Trainers are also recommended for the acting and singing classes.
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
1: Starlight Theatre School requires a termly commitment by both the student and the parent/guardian.
2: A three-week Deposit is required by the end of each term to secure a place for the following term. Payment of this deposit automatically renews your agreement to adhere to the guidelines, terms & conditions & to commit to the next term in full.
3: All fees are to be paid termly in advance by the date specified on the invoice. Late or outstanding fees will incur an administration charge of £10 for each reminder sent.
4: Students may not attend classes that have not been paid for. Starlight cannot guarantee a place if fees have not been paid by the date requested.
5. Starlight Theatre School reserves the right to change the date/time of the sessions if the normal time/date conflicts with Theatre Trips or events out of Starlight’s control.
6: As Starlight is a termly commitment, fees are not refundable.
7: Starlight Theatre School expects good attendance, behaviour & punctuality at all times.
8: If for any reason the student cannot attend any session, it is expected that the school be informed at least one hour prior to the schools starting time by text on 07967 385120.
9: Starlight Theatre School may use footage of your child/children at Starlight for public or promotional use unless requested otherwise in writing.
10: Starlight cannot be responsible for students outside Starlight hours unless a prior arrangement has been made.
11: It is not possible for parents or friends to sit in on lessons.